Agricultural Perlite In Traditional Agriculture To Improve Soil Characters And Productivity
In horticultural applications, perlite is used throughout the world as a component of soil-less growing mixes where it provides aeration and optimum moisture retention for superior plant growth. For rooting cuttings, 100% perlite is used. Studies have shown that outstanding yields are achieved with perlite hydroponic systems. Other benefits of horticultural perlite are its neutral pH and the fact that it is sterile and weed-free. In addition, its light weight makes it ideal for use in container growing. Other horticultural applications for perlite are as a carrier for fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides and for pelletizing seed. Horticultural perlite is as useful to the home gardener as it is to the commercial grower. It is used with equal success in greenhouse growing, landscaping applications and in the home in house plants.
The characteristics of agricultural perlite that grant the benefits are:
• Water absorption. Perlite can absorb 6-8times its weight in water. As a result it reduces the cost of watering and energy spend for watering. Considering also the world efforts in preserving water makes the use of perlite in horticulture an ideal solution.
• Aeration. When perlite contains the maximum capacity of water it has an aeration ration of 56%. Thus creating the necessary conditions for plants to grow.
• Neutral PH. Perlite has a neutral ph (6.5-7.5) and is chemically stable.
• Insulation. Perlite provides insulation to the plant’s roots making them less affected by climate changes.
• Life span. Perlite does not disintegrate through time nor it changes characteristics.